Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blood on the Robert McKenzie

...ew...what sort of a title is that?

I've been thinking recently that I need to get back into the blog thang. My void online is really a symptom of other things. My writing schedule's been shot, I keep plugging away on the script every other day, but not in any organized fashion. Work is more stressful than normal, I'm producing 2 shows and am responsible for the technical side of a few more so that's certainly affecting things. I feel like I'm flailing about in the dark and it's time for that to end. I would say it's time to make stress my bitch instead of the other way around. However, I can't think of a non-misogynistic way to say that and not have it sound hokey...it just takes more words, which is sad. I blame the booze...and my gender bias for which I feel honest shame.

The other night I went to bed early expecting to get a full night's sleep. Around midnight I decided to abandon that plan as folly. So, I got up..read a bit, played some L4D (perfect bedtime entertainment!) (what?) And then I saw this (for god's sake, hit the embiggen button):

Blood On My Name from Whitestone Motion Pictures on Vimeo.


On second thought, don't embiggen it, go watch it on Whitestone's web page, it's a higher resolution version and much better experience. Also bonus features!

I loved the feel of it at the beginning, the music, the color tint, the dialog and accents, the Dread (I'm a sucker for civil-war era malevolent entities) and then the music hit. I love it on it's own, I love it in the context of the film and I love the folklore aspect. I totally believe this could be a song handed down generation to generation over a fire.

I love the realism that works in the world of the film-the costumes are perfect for the dread. It really makes me want to go back to my Civil War Superhero script as it gives me new idears...but I can't touch anything until I finish this one.

Mostly, it just energizes me and gets me excited about film again. About writing...about creating. My first instinct was "oh I so need to post this" So it's great on it's own, but it's also great in that it did that thing that all art should.. it inspired and touched me...but not in the I-need-a-trusted-adult way.

Also, I think it's the folk/storytelling aspect...but it makes me think of Paul Gross:

No comments:

Post a Comment